Advantages of CAD System:
There are various advantages of modeling using CAD system over the traditionally used drafting methods which were using square, rulers and compasses. Like one may alter the design without even redrawing or erasing it.
- CAD system also comes with zoom features analogous with the camera lens which allows the designer to magnify various elements of any model for facilitating the inspections.
- The models created on the computer are mostly three dimensional and they can be easily rotated on different axis just like one can rotate the three dimensional model in hand which helps them have a complete picture of the object.
- CAD system lends itself for creating various cutaway drawings which show the internal shape of any part, that helps in presenting the spatial relationship which may be existing among a system of those parts.
Limitations of CAD System:
For understanding CAD better it is important to know what all it cannot do.
- CAD does not have the power to comprehend the concepts from real-world like the nature of any object which is being designed or any functions which the object will be able to serve.
- CAD system has it functioning in place using the capacity of codifying geometrical concepts. Thus the process of design with CAD involves the transfer of designer’s idea in a well defined geometrical model.
Many other limitations in regards to CAD are being tried to be addressed by R&D in terms of experts system. One of the major areas in regards to development in this technology has been stated as a simulation of performance. Most common simulation being testing of response to modeling and stress the process which may help in manufacturing the part or may help in developing relationship amongst the different systems of the parts. Simulation can also be used in electronic design automation that has simulated flow of current through the circuit enabling the testing of various components in a rapid manner.
Like any other application, CAD system have their own advantages and disadvantages, however, it is one of the most accepted applications amoungst the AEC industry for digitizing plans, sketches, and hand-drawn blueprints.